Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My first 5K

Well I did it. I ran in my first 5K. About a month ago I decided I wanted to start running and get into shape. I was at a point where I felt like I was in the worst shape I had been in. I always had no energy. I slept in to long in the mornings. I wanted to change. So I started getting up in the mornings and running. At first I couldn't even run a mile without stopping. A friend of mine suggested running in the spud run with her in September. It is also a 5K. After my first day of running I thought to myself. There is NO WAY I can run three miles. So I kept at it. Each day running a little farther. After 3 weeks I was up to running 3 miles. It got actually pretty easy. My sister was running in the hammer run in Declo that same weekend we were there so I decided to do it. I ran it in 29 mins. I am not super fast but I ran the whole time. It felt great. During the race I passed a women in a wheelchair. That really hit me. I felt so blessed to be able to run. It was then that it made me realize what a true blessing it was to be able to wake up each morning and have two healthy legs that allowed me to run. I have enjoyed running this past month. It has been great physically as well as emotionally. I have so much more energy every day. I get so much more accomplished. I feel so much happier. My goal is to keep running more and farther distances. I am learning to love running. I never in my life thought I would say this. In high school I hated it with a passion. I still remember the day a friend and I ran the 800 in a track meet and I seriously thought I was going to die.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!!!!! Running is something I really do wish I could do. Being hypoglycemic + taking long runs just don't mix well: it messes me up for days! I've now given up. Thank you for giving me someone to live vicariously through! I want to hear more stories about all this! :o)

Ben and Carrie said...

I remember running that 800, too and it was AWFUL! After the race we went into the locker room and I was sure one of us was going to pass out (or die). Way to go for running a 5K! That is awesome. I still don't love running, but I always feel great after I get done and I never regret doing it. It is great to be able to run to be in shape so that we can feel better about ourselves and be the best we can for our families. Maybe one day you'll be up for running a half marathon! You look great, by the way!