Monday, February 14, 2011

A spiritual weekend

This past weekend was so wonderful. It was our stake conference. We were so blessed to have two special visitors. Brother Anderson of the twelve and Brother Clark of the seventy. On Saturday Jaman was able to attend the priesthood session and he sent me to the adult session. I was so excited to be able to go with no kids and could listen and take notes. I feel like the whole session was just for me. The spirit was so strong and when you heard these two wonderful men speak you could just tell they were the Lord's servants. I jotted down some notes that really hit me and I wanted to document them because they were so wonderful. The first talk was given by a member of our stake presidency

He based his talk on a talk by Pres. Hinckley about Parenting.
-Parenting is one of the hardest and at times the most frustrating things you will do
-Parenting is also one of the most rewarding
-Never Give Up

He talked about how to establish a good family.
A HUSBAND AND A WIFE SHOULD CLEAVE COMPLETELY
- they need to become one
-leave behind the single life
-spouses need to be #1
-no other thing or person should come over the covenants you made together
-kids and grand kids need to know that you love each other

He shared of a cute story of his grandson. One day he came home from work and his grandson was there at the house with grandma. He picked his grandson up and said "I love you" and his grandson of 2 years said "you love grandma"
He taught how important it is for our kids and our grand kids to know how much we love our spouse.

MAKE OUR HOMES A HOLY PLACE
-daily scripture
-daily prayer
-daily FHE
-wholesome activities

HOME IS THE BASE OF A RIGHTEOUS LIFE

The second talk was by another in the stake.

WE NEED TO INVEST TIME FOR OUR FAMILIES
-it will be one of the greatest investments
-love in families is really spelled time
-limit technology (ipod, computer, tv, video games)
-spend more time creating memories
-spend as much time with your families as possible so when you look back you will not regret it
-kids will NEVER remember the 99 times you kept the sabbath day holy but will ALWAYS remember the 1 time you didn't
-start your own family traditions

The third talk by another in our stake

CONTROL OUR THOUGHTS
-be careful what is coming out of our mouths
-do we gossip?
-do we complain?
-do our kids here us complain about our role as a parent or calling?

We need to be positive
-our kids need to hear us say positive things
-love needs to be expressed at home daily
-be positive when things are hard
-always remember your blessings especially during times of trial.


Elder Clark of the seventy was the next speaker. I think this talk was one of my favorite through the whole session. It really opened my eyes more and made me want to really try harder to be a better parent.

He talked of following the Prophet. If we will follow the prophet and do the things he asks us to do we as latter day saints will be increasingly different in this world.

He said that there is a crisis in society of the destruction of young men and also young women. We are sailing against the wind. He talked about how the world portrays what young men and young women should be and it is not right.

He said we cannot rely on society for the upbringing of our children. Our only source is God.
WE HAVE TO RAISE OUR GAME AND GET BETTER

I think the comment that really has stayed with me is when he said " What was sufficient 20 years ago to raise a family, WILL NOT work now. We are going to have to do much much more. We are going to have to be much much stronger."

He talked about a husband and a wife's relationship is the rock. It needs to be strong. The most important thing in a relationship is to forgive and repent. Don't let the natural man pop up when an argument arises.


The last speaker was a member of the twelve Brother Anderson

He is a really big story teller. I couldn't keep up with writing all the stories but jotted down the thoughts that stuck with me.

He talked about how every day evil increases in the world. We can't go through it without the Holy Ghost. He really pushed that we teach our kids of the Holy Ghost and how He is a help through this life.

He talked to the men about sharing more of their everyday spiritual experiences with their wife and children. He said that they will bless the family.

He talked a lot about our Savior and how important it is to teach our children of Him. His love for them and the importance of Faith.

He talked about the Priesthood and that we need to use it more in our homes with blessings. He said that we don't have to wait for something significant in our lives to have a blessing.

On the drive home it was so wonderful to ponder the words that were said. It definitely made me want to step it up and do things better. I really loved how they talked about time being one of the greatest investments. I know that is true. Right now my time needs to be about my family and kids. I may not have time to do everything I want to do but my kids will be grown and gone before I know it. It I don't take the time right now and teach them it will be too late and society will do it for me. This world gets scarier and scarier. I really don't look forward to my kids going to school for fear of what they will learn. These talks were a reminder to me of how important it is to teach them and love them.
My parents have always been a great example of love. They are over fifty and I know without a doubt they are in love. Yes they have their quarrels but they are like they are dating. Kissing, hugging, always by each other and will take every chance they can get to be together.
I want my kids to know how much I love their dad. I hope someday they will be able to write the same about us.
All in all I love the gospel. I am so thankful I am a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I know without a doubt that it is true. I am thankful for wonderful men who take time and share their wonderful spirit. It is always great to get a boost. Get some guidence on how to be a better parents. I am always in need of this.

It was such a great 2 hours. The next day we were able to hear them again. They were also wonderful. I did have two kids to entertain and chase around so not much note taking.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Thanks for writing this down. It was so many of the things I needed to be reminded of too! I'm glad you took such great notes!! :-)

Christal said...

What a blessing all the way around. You were blessed to have had the chance to soak up those messages, and blessed to have written them down. We were able to have Elder Hallstrom of the Seventy as well this past Fast Sunday! Truly amazed at the spirit they carry. We are a blessed church, no doubt! Great notes!

Me :) said...

WOW!! I needed to hear that today! Thanks for sharing Brigetta!